Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kidz Club

Mark Twain once said, "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky.....because it won't get there for 20 years".  Usually I have to agree that Kentucky tends to be a little behind the times.....but yesterday I found a great example where KY is actually in the forefront.  I visited a pediatric medical day treatment facility called The Kidz Club to see if it might be a good fit for Gianna once I return to work.  KY is one of only three states in the country that has this type of licensed health care facility for babies and toddlers who are medically fragile!  I have to admit I was a little skeptical before visiting.  Maybe because of the name?  I don't really get the point of changing the "s" in a word to a "z".  Anyway - amazing place....absolutely amazing.  It is completely staffed by RNs, LPNs and CNAs, the staff to baby ratio is 1 to 3 and many times 1 to 2.  All types of therapies take place on-site.  Staff are all trained on the particular medical needs of each child and carry out the doctor's orders for their plan of care.  They are familiar with Gianna's diagnoses and serve other children with hydrocephalus and brain anomalies.  And when I visited the infant room, they were playing a Michael Jackson CD and dancing with the babies.  :-)  So needless to say, we're applying.  We would have loved for Gianna and Angelo to attend the same place for day care/preschool, but he is really happy at Park and I think this might be just the right fit for G. 

2 comments:

  1. How have I missed that Mark Twain quote all my life? I love it! :)

    But amazing that there is a day care like that. Very cool! Your luck just keeps rollin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although we would LOVE to have Giana here at Park I pray she gets into the Kidz Club -sounds perfect! We can't wait to meet though :-D
    ~Margaret

    ReplyDelete