Friday, May 6, 2011

Armed with Strength

There are many words that I would use to describe Gianna - sweet, strong, special, amazing, cutie, happy, a miracle...you get the idea.  "Weak" is definitely not among the words I've ever thought of for her.  But sure enough, this is the description she got during her Physical Therapy evaluation.  I love love love her therapist and, of course, she's right.  G's muscle tone and overall core strength aren't developmentally on target.  So her goals for the next six months will be to work on rolling over, sitting up and gaining overall body strength.  Her long term goal (hopefully within the next 6 months) is crawling.  Her assessment also said she has Asymmetrical Tonic Neck Reflex which was definitely a new term to me!  This is also called Fencing Reflex, since it looks like the baby is in a "fencing" position.  The description I read was concerning, but her therapist was really encouraging about Gianna being able to make progress with this issue. 

Illustration of Asymmetrical Tonic Neck Reflex

I'm really looking forward to Gianna starting her therapy soon - I'm confident it will make our strong girl even stronger!


Psalm 18:32-36
"It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect"

2 comments:

  1. Love that scripture at the end of your post! Will be praying for sweet Gianna and she begins therapy! Happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love where you say that just when you start to worry she shows you she CAN hit her milestone. I felt that way ALOT with Alivia, arnt they just the greatest!! Alivia has low muscle tone too she didnt walk till 18 months and not even a strong walker but now at 2 1/2 this girl is hard to catch and climbs anything and everything. Navigates the stairs like its no ones business! Therapy is going to be great for Gianna and your starting so early. Im so excited to watch her grow! hearts! Eva

    ReplyDelete