Monday, August 16, 2010

High Risk & High Expectations

Family pic at Hilton Head in July
My OB decided to transfer my care for the rest of the pregnancy to Maternal and Fetal Medicine High Risk due to the severity and complexity of Gianna's medical condition.  I had my first appointment with one of their fellows today - Dr. Pierce - and she was wonderful!  She was so thorough and prepared - she had already read all of my information and had actually done a lot of other background research in order to present Gianna's "case" to the other fellows.  She'll give an update on my pregnancy and Gianna's condition every Friday to the High Risk attendings and fellows so that everyone will be on the same page regardless of who ultimately delivers her.  Most importantly - she said she has "high expectations" for Gianna and talked about how encouraging it is that the encephalocele contains only CSF and that it hasn't grown dramatically.  She's going to arrange for Matt and I to be able to take a tour of the NICU to prepare ourselves in advance of the birth.  I also started the twice weekly fetal monitoring today and today her heartbeat was strong and regular.  All-in-all a positive, productive appointment!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you like your new doctor and are getting encouraging news!
    gee

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, adorable photo! So glad you got a nice relaxing trip away.

    Secondly, glad to hear you like your new doctor. It is always important to be in good hands and to like the person caring for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im 19 weeks pregnant with a baby girl. i was told she has encephalocele. (my husband and i were heartbroken) we were told to keep her full term but since her brain is growing outside her head its a 55% survival. and he gave me asecond choice of termination. im undecided and was online reaserching everything i could find...(hopeless). i found your website and had me in tears and smiles. your video made me realize that miracles do happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you are going through this but don't lose hope!! Please email me if you'd like to talk or if there are any questions I can help with.

      Delete