Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day After Surgery

The nurses suprised us with this big purple bow on her head to celebrate her breathing on her own again!
I finally got to go home late last night, which was definitely a time of mixed feelings. I hadn't seen Angelo in almost 6 days, and had only seen D for a few minutes at the hospital. Angelo woke up when I got home and just to hear him say "Mommy!!" completely made my day. But leaving Gianna at the hospital feels like leaving part of my heart behind. The boys had welcome home signs and balloons for me - so sweet! And I swear Angelo looked a year older... I'm used to him being our "baby", but now compared to Gianna he seems huge! Ron, Robbie & Cara have been taking care of the house & boys for us so we can concentrate on G - we're so grateful to them, my parents, and ALL of the support and kind messages from family & friends.
Matt and I got back to the hospital this morning in time for the Drs. rounds. G slept peacefully last night and is not even on pain medicine this morning! It is unbelievable how good she looks for just having surgery yesterday. Dr. Desai said the main thing they are watching for now is whether or not Gianna will develop hydrocephalus and have to have another surgery to place a shunt. She believes that this will be very likely. The nurses will start a head circumference chart today and regularly measure to see if the cerebral spinal fluid is building up, and if so, how quickly.
Time to feed her now! :-) Will post more pics when we get home tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recent update Amy! I will be praying 24/7 for Gianna. Glad to hear you got to go home. I know it had to be hard but I am sure the boys were glad to see you. You have great in laws even if I have to say so myself! I bet it is a releive to have family close by to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the bows totally crack me up. Love the purple. :)

    ReplyDelete